Client
Ministry of Education – “DIEFES”.
Period
1991 to 1994
Contractor
Mechaniki S.A. – Edrassis S.A. V. Kyriakopoulos
Use
Public Services
Location
Greece
Rehabilitation/Strengthen
Masonry-Mixed
Downolad PDF

REESTABLISHMENT OF THE CORFU ENGLISH BARRACKS

 The building was constructed during the period of the English Occupation (1814-1864). It is founded on the old Venetian Wall of the dry trench (16th century).The 0,90 ÷ 1,40m thick walls, as well as the vaults are constructed with solid clay bricks.The objective of the design was to retrofit and upgrade the building as required to house the Historic Archive and the Public Library of the city of Corfu.The retrofitting works of the building include: reinforcement of the ground by grouting, adjustment of the walls and filling of voids by cement and resin grout, replacement of the floors by reinforced concrete slabs, installation of steel platforms and lift pits.Total cost of retrofit works 200.000.000 greek drachmas.The building was used as the Press center for the E.C. summit meeting (June 1994).